[TriLUG] Hard drive advice

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:19:21 EDT 2005

I've RMA'd Seagate IDE drives before.  One case I recall was a 3 yr
warranty, but I was only 6 months in, I got the replacement *next
day*!  I was shocked, but no complaint.  I put the busted drive in the
box they shipped the new one in, replaced the sticker for shipping and
sent it one its way.  I don't even recall having to give them a CC#,
although it would make sense that I did since they shipped new prior
to receiving the old.  I recall also that Seagate has a way you can
setup your RMA with an online form that using the serial # from your
drive even knows right off that you are warrantied, even if you didn't
register your hardware, based on manufacturer date.  Obviously if you
are outside that time frame, you will want to have your purchase
receipt ready.

David McD