[TriLUG] Hard drive advice

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Sep 22 18:24:56 EDT 2005

Ian Meyer wrote:
> I recently had a similar experience with a regular ATA drive from
> Seagate, I didn't need to send in any documentation or anything, just
> entered the serial # on the website, and it gave me a label to print,
> I sent it off to them, and about a week later had a "Certified
> Repaired Drive" back from them.
>
> The only downside was a advance RMA would have cost me an additional
> $30 I think, too much for my personal external drive, but for a
> enterprise, it would be a small price to pay to get a 2nd drive to
> recover data onto or something.

You just talked me out of Seagate for my home machines.  Western Digital
doesn't charge anything for an advance RMA.

An enterprise class business is likely not going to be using
individually warrantied drives in many cases.  Their desktop machines
with PATA/SATA will have their own warranty, and the servers will likely
have SCSI and will also be covered under the same warranty or service
contract as the rest of the machine.

If they do use IDE drives in their servers I am sure they would keep
many spares on hand since they are so cheap :).

Pat