[TriLUG] Slightly OT:Vonage vs. TWC Phone Service

Michael Lee melee.list at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 20:42:55 EDT 2005

On 10/7/05, wayy2be <wayy2be at yahoo.com> wrote:
> How secure is Vonage, given its voip?

Unless things have changed, someone can listen on your cable network
and pull out your voice packets.  The VoIP phones use some ATM
technology (AAL2, I believe), that is packed into IP packets.  I have
never listened to see if it was possible, but they didn't support any
security (SSL or anything).  This analysis was based on either Vonage
or AT&T (I can't remember).  But things might have changed.  I looked
at that a year ago.

In addition to Vonage and TWC, there is also AT&T's Callvantage.  I
have had good luck with it.  It is (or was) slightly more expensive
than Vonage, but cheaper than TWC.  And I had no problems porting my
existing phone number to it.  Vonage on the other hand couldn't port
the number in over 5 months.  AT&T took 5 days.