[TriLUG] Re: Printer Woes

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 24 15:57:32 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 10:32 -0500, Lance A. Brown wrote:
> John Mitchell wrote:

> Holy crap!  I bought the C82 because it was recommended as one of the
> best printers for Linux on linuxprinting.org.  Now I see the damned
> thing has known issues with parts falling off and I have to decide if I
> want to take it apart and repair it or chuck it and buy something else.

Canon IP3000-and up printers are the bomb, baby. I have a predecessor
printer, the S750, and they've been cookin' along for three years with
nary a burp.

And I've bought only one new set of cartridges over the life of the
printer: I'd ordered the right mixture of ink off Ebay and have been
refilling ever since. Costs me about 35 cents for a complete black and
red/cyan/yellow refill.

However, if you do need printing for the long-haul, the new low-end
lasers are great. Samsung has been kicking HP butt in that space for the
last couple years.

JKB