[TriLUG] Re: Printer Woes

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Fri Nov 25 02:06:08 EST 2005

Lance A. Brown wrote:
> Greg Brown wrote:
>> If you are in the market for a new printer I HIGHLY reccomend a
>> LasterJet 1200 print.  I've had one USB attacehed to my home server
>> running CUPS for *years* without any issues.  They rock.
>
> Do you do any color printing, and what do you have for that if you do?

Sorry to jump in the middle of a thread :).  Personally, the only thing
color I have ever wanted to print is photographs.  I doubt if I could
even compete with Walmart's photo prices if I tried to do it myself.

There are quite a few places on the Internet that are an even better
deal.  I've used winkflash.com in the past, they are 12 cents per 4x6
print and flat rate 0.99 shipping.  There are places even cheaper than that.

>> Looks like the new "entry level" printer is the laserjet 1020 and it
>> retails for $130.00:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/dt4lh
>
> I've read a lot of concern about the quality of these cheap lasers and
> whether they really hold up in the long run.  Seems like yours has held
> up, though.

I don't personally own a printer anymore.  I picked up a used HP
LaserJet 6L for my father a few years ago.  He used to go through a few
ink cartridges a year.  Toner may be a bit more expensive, but he has
only had to buy one toner cartridge so far.  I assume the used cartridge
it came with was not full.

My girlfriend just ordered a  Samsung ML-2010 for her father.
Linuxprinting.org recommended low end Samsung printers.  They didn't
have the 2010 in their database, but google turned up some emails saying
that it works with the same driver as all the other similar Samsungs.
The printer was $50 after rebate, I believe shipping and tax pushed it
to a bit over $70.  IIRC, toner cartridges for this printer were listed
at about $70 and claim to be good for 3000 pages.

If anyone is interested, I can let you know how the printer works out.
Unfortunately, I believe it won't be opened until Christmas, though :).

Pat