[TriLUG] OT: www.hexblog.com - a fix for the WMF vulernability.

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Jan 4 09:36:26 EST 2006

Interestingly, I presume shortly after receiving information on how to
identify it, ClamAV tagged a bunch of sample WMFs that come with an
older version of Broderbund's PrintMaster Gold in a backup folder from a
user's machine.  It wasn't clear to me if the files actually contained
threats, or if simply having anything in that code block would trigger
the scanner to report it.  Needless to say, those files and folders have
been summarily toasted regardless.

This fix also got /. coverage today.

And yes, this is an across-the-board vulnerability; it is not tied
directly to IE at all, in fact -- it's tied to legacy standards in
effect since Windows 3.0 which provided for the executable block of
WMFs, and Explorer's tendency to open and read portions of every file in
a folder when you browse its parent folder, in order to create thumbnails.

Or so I've read.

~B