[TriLUG] Logitech QuickCam - no video device found

Timothy A. Chagnon tachagnon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 11:31:55 EST 2006

I picked up this exact same camera (logitech quickcam chat) about a
month ago.  I've got it running under Ubuntu 5.10, but had to manually
compile and install the module.  The default one that comes with the
Ubuntu kernel doesn't work.  Some v4l call gives me a kernel panic.
The spca5xx version I have working is 20051212.

Although, I think even the old version still got a device at
/dev/video0.  Silly question but when you plug in the camera, do you
get syslog messages telling you it correctly identified the device and
installed the spca5xx module?

If the version of spca5xx that gentoo has is not very new, the USB ID
for these camera's might not be registered to the module maybe?  Also,
IIRC mplayer has some issues with this v4l device.  I know xawtv and
gnomemeeting work.

Tim