[TriLUG] Logitech QuickCam - no video device found

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Jan 18 11:44:18 EST 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Timothy A. Chagnon wrote:

> I picked up this exact same camera (logitech quickcam chat) about a
> month ago.  I've got it running under Ubuntu 5.10, but had to manually
> compile and install the module.  The default one that comes with the
> Ubuntu kernel doesn't work.  Some v4l call gives me a kernel panic.
> The spca5xx version I have working is 20051212.

no kernel panics; spca5xx version is 20060101

> Although, I think even the old version still got a device at
> /dev/video0.  Silly question but when you plug in the camera, do you
> get syslog messages telling you it correctly identified the device and
> installed the spca5xx module?

from /var/log/messages:
Jan 17 15:59:09 kenobi kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
Jan 17 15:59:09 kenobi kernel: Colour QuickCam for Video4Linux v0.05

no mention of spca5xx in /var/log/messages; no mention of it in
/var/log/syslog, either.

> If the version of spca5xx that gentoo has is not very new, the USB ID
> for these camera's might not be registered to the module maybe?  Also,
> IIRC mplayer has some issues with this v4l device.  I know xawtv and
> gnomemeeting work.

latest (not stable) version of spca5xx; I would guess if yours works, mine
should work.  The problem seems to be a disconnect between the video
device and the hardware!?  Is that the spca5xx layer, or (my guess) the
videodev layer?