[TriLUG] Digital phone recomendations

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 00:13:42 EST 2006

>i can recommend the vonage plan. i've never had an issue with the service
itself, i.e. lag, echo, voicemail. our first router crapped out on us and we
had
a new one in 24 hours.

>like the above post said, make sure to disconnect the main line
that goes out to the phone company's CO before you plug into the
main box. i used to do this, until i purchased a"set" of phones [one
main phone plugged into the vonage box and 3 satellite phones]

On 1/20/06, Barry Gaskins <barry.gaskins at gmail.com> wrote:

>    Hi Everyone,
>
>    My wife wants to save some money and get digital phone service.  We are
> currently paying about $50 per month to BellSouth for local phone and a
> few
> dollars a month to Quest for what little long distance we use.  My wife
> and
> daughter are using virgin Mobile for there cell phones (which they plan to
> keep).  We have roadrunner cable / broadband.  I have a coyote linux
> firewall feeding into network hubs feeding every room with internet
> (windows
> boxes for wife/kids and linux boxes in my computer room).
>
>    The time warner digital phone service is $39  per month for unlimited
> calls but that does not seem to be the best deal.  Vonage has a $25 per
> month plan for unlimited calls that we are considering.  But the box they
> show has 2 phone jacks on it.  I can't figure out if I can just run a
> phone
> cord from one of those jacks into a phone plug in my wall to make all  of
> my
> current phones work or would I be limited to plugging 2 phones into the 2
> jacks on the box I would get from vonage.  Since I have a wife and 3 kids
> and  8 phones in the house that does not sound very appealing.
>
>    I would ultimately like to get a card to put into a computer and have a
> linux box running asterisk that can do all the cool stuff that would
> enable
> but my wife is tired of waiting for me to figure out all the stuff that
> would require and I don't have any time for that right now.  I plan to do
> that at some point but I am thinking about doing vonage or something just
> try it out for now.
>
>    So does anybody have any suggestions on what company to use or warnings
> about what to avoid? Does anybody have their digital phone plugged into
> the
> house phone wiring to make all the regular phones in your house work?
>
>    Thanks
>    Barry Gaskins

Carl Crider