[TriLUG] Digital phone recomendations

Paul G. Szabady Paul at ThyService.com
Sat Jan 21 13:22:27 EST 2006

Greetings,

I've been using both vonage(.com) and packet8(.net) for a couple of years
now.  I initially got them both so I could test and was going to cancel
the other.  However, I've decided to keep them both, here's why.

Misc info about vonage (my main phone line)
 - I liked having the ability to send voicemail notices and/or the actual
voicemail to my email
 - Service seemed as good as packet8
 - Web interface was easier/prettier to use for non-techies (ie my wife)
manipulating my account
 - Support was decent
 - Hooked into the primary (red/green) phone wiring in my house
 - The vonage unit has 2 phone plugs, for two distinctly different
numbers.  (Not just jacks for the same line.)
 - The vonage unit has 2 network jacks, one "WAN" and one "LAN".  If you
have just a single computer, or do not need to worry about browsing other
networks, you can unplug CAT5 cable from your computer and place it into
the WAN port of the phone system.  Then run a line from the LAN port to
your computer.  Plug a phone cable into your phone jack and line1 one on
the phone system and you're up and running.  (SEE NOTE BELOW!!!)

Misc info about packet8 (secondary line)
 - It was only 19.99
 - I already had it set up
 - Hooked into the secondary (yellow/black) phone wiring in my house.
 - Support is decent
 - Web inteface is not as nice as vonage, but who cares?  I'm the only one
to use it.  :)
 - Only one network jack (You'll need a hub/switch to set it up)

NOTES:
 - BE SURE TO DISCONNECT BELL SOUTH'S INBOUND WIRING AT YOUR OUTSIDE DMARK
***BEFORE*** YOU PLUG YOUR PHONES IN.

 - If you know someone with a vonage or packet8 account, you can save them
a month of service by letting them refer you.  If you don't know anyone,
I'd be happy (shameless plug) to refer you.  :)

I hope this helps!

--
Paul
@ Thy Service