[TriLUG] seeking help-desk ticket tracking tool

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Wed Feb 8 14:12:26 EST 2006

David McDowell wrote:
> So, in light of that, we are seeking a system we can use to track our
> calls/cases to help us manage this.  If you have any suggestions,
> please include some pros and cons.

We started using Jira about a year ago.  Caveat: it is neither free nor
open source.  But worth every penny we paid for it.
   http://atlassian.com/software/jira/

For us, e-mail integration was critical - meaning that our users get an
e-mail whenever their issues are updated and they can respond via e-mail.
Also, our online bug report form and the request form integrated into our
products can submit new support requests via the e-mail interface.

> What would be icing on the cake for me?  Something which was developed
> using PHP (running on linux/apache), can use MSSQL (yes I said that)

Sorry, it's a Java webapp.  But it does support most databases (incl MSSQL).

> and possibly even have users auth'd against my AD (LDAP) just like I'm

Dunno about that - but it couldn't hurt to ask them.  Their support has
always been very responsive to us.  They have a plugin architecture that
might make it possible to integrate with AD for authentication.
They do have a LDAP integration:
   http://atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/v3.5/ldap.html

Linux Content: we run Jira on Tomcat/MySQL and RHES3, soon moving to CentOS 4.

HTH,

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformance.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software