[TriLUG] Cathedral vs. Bazaar (was Re: Lunch Friday? - Another Durham person)

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 17:23:48 EST 2006

On 2/21/06, Lance A. Brown <lance at bearcircle.net> wrote:
> Wow... I always considered emacs a 'bazaar' type situation where you
> *can* do exactly what you want to do.  Need a new mode, go for it.  Want
> to interact with another program, sure!  etc.  Vi, for me, has always
> been the 'Do it OUR way' cathedral...

Looks like you didn't read the actual "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by
Eric Raymond.  His example of the Cathedral is Emacs, because
Stallman kept the ability to have changes accepted tightly guarded
and every now and then they would come out with a new version,
seemingly from "on high".  This was exactly what lead to the Lucid
Emacs (now XEmacs) fork.

But, you really, really, really should go read the Cathedral and the Bazaar
NOW so you don't embarass yourself again. O:-) :-P

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

Cheers,
Tanner
P.S. Microsoft isn't really mentioned in respect to the cathedral *or*
the bazaar.  It's only people afterwards that have started thinking
that MS must be the cathedral and FLOSS is the bazaar.

--
Tanner Lovelace
clubjuggler at gmail dot com