[TriLUG] *NIX on Itanium

mike shlitz mshlitz at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 10:42:54 EST 2007

Hi All,

I recently acquired (gratis) a Compaq ProLiant DL
590/64 Quad Itanium (Merced) server.  It has a (4)
SCSI drive capacity (hot swap).  7U form factor.  1 GB
RAM (64 GB capable).

This will be used at home for my tinkering and
enjoyment.  I have (4) brand new Seagate SCSI drives I
can use, (9.1 GB) which would give me about 27 GB in a
RAID 5 configuration, which would probably be adequate
for my initial purposes.

Questions and RFC's are as follows:

Reviewing HP/Compaq's forums I don't see much mention
of the 590/64, which tells me it is either (A.) a
hefty paperweight, or (B.) pretty much trouble free
compared to every other HP/Compaq server out there.
I'm inclined by virtue of experience to view (A.) as
the most likely scenario.  Any advice, caveats, or
expressions of sympathy?

I'm looking for sources (cheapest) for (4) SCSI
carriers for same.  Also (cheapest) larger capacity
SCSI drives, and Memory (cheapest) for same.  I
usually go to DataMem in Salem, NH...  didn't know if
someone might have an alternative source.

Best choice for *NIX OS for this machine?  I have
CentOS running well on my old DEC Alpha.  Ubuntu
running smoothly on some iMac's, I see FreeBSD has a
port for IA64, or maybe FC-6 (64bit)?  The last time I
heard someone say "Itanium" at a LUG meeting, it was
followed by hoots of laughter.

Thanks,

Mike