[TriLUG] Mail client

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Fri Mar 23 16:35:34 EDT 2007

Soo....on topic shameless plug time...

If you have SOME control over your environment...we
(http://buni.org/mediawiki/index.php/Meldware_Communications_Suite) now
support WCAP which is a calendaring protocol that does what CALDAV* is
SUPPOSED to do but actually works.  It even does "Freebusy" and our
server sends invite emails.

In this event that you can use the Lightning_WCAP plugin for TBird with
our server built from the HEAD.  This will give you full IMAP and the
same level of calendaring functionality that the Outlook/Exchange duo
give you.  Granted...if you wait for the next milestone release (1.0M8)
then it will even do so stably.

There are also WCAP plugins for Evolution and *cough* Outlook.  We just
are working the most with TBird/Lightning because Evolution is getting a
bit dusty.  Not a whole lot of activity there...  And it's IMAP support
is sucky at best.

I just gave a talk about it to DCLUG (dclug.tux.org).  I'll forward the
slides/audio when they show up.  One of the other developers (Aron) will
also be giving a chat on this at SVLUG (not on the schedule yet:
http://www.buni.org/mediawiki/index.php/LUG_TOUR_2007) and I'm hoping to
get that on google video...  U/F our server kicked a drive the day
before I left so the site is a bit messy and 404ish ATM.
(http://buni.org).   I'm the only one who seems to be motivated to deal
with: infrastructure and documentation... everyone else went back to
coding the moment CVS got back up ;-)

Thanks,

-Andy

PS.  You can't WINE outlook because the MSRPC stuff isn't in WINE so
they can't natively support MS-Exchange protocol.

* CALDAV is the ultimate proof that implementation must precede
standardization

--
>From Windows/Exchange to Linux/Meldware
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
Email, Calendaring, ease of configuration/administration
http://buni.org