[TriLUG] Suggestions for mail hosting.

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Apr 19 21:22:48 EDT 2007

Brian Daniels wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 04:51:35PM +1000, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>> I've used pobox.com's redirection service for over 10 years now.  It's
>> surprising that something has been around that long in the Internet but
>> it's true!  (I remember I got the account when Mindspring bought out
>> NandO.Net's ISP service, which I just checked and was in 1996.)
>
> Which is just the sort of thing I wanted to hear!  But dangit, can sites stop
> using ridiculous account policies?
>
> http://www.pobox.com/chromeless/user_agreement.html
> "The customer shall not transmit or receive any threatening, harassing, libelous
> or obscene material. The Customer shall not transmit or receive any material
> which is deemed illegal by any local, state, federal, or international law."
>
> Transmit is bad enough.  RECEIVE?!?  How am I supposed to control what is sent
> to me?  Why should I care if what I'm sending violates the laws of another
> country?

Sounds like silly lawyer boilerplate.  I wouldn't worry about it too
much myself.  Though if you find a service with a more enlightened ToS
that would be interesting to hear about...

And I would interpret the issue of violating laws as only to mean, laws
whose jurisdiction applies.  E.g. if you're transmitting something that
violates laws of Ghana, but the transmission is wholly within the US, I
fail to see how Ghana's laws have any relation at all.

--Jeremy