[TriLUG] exhaustive disk testing

Josh Vickery josh at vickeryj.com
Mon Dec 10 19:37:09 EST 2007

I'll second the recommendation of using the manufacturer tools if
having output for a warranty claim is your goal.  I've had disks that
I could "fix" but then failed proceeded to fail in a spectacular
fashion.  If the drive is under warranty I've found that downloading
and running the manufacturer tools is the fastest way to get a
replacement.  Most manufacturers have a website where you can handle
the replacement online, they generally asks for the serial number and
the fault code from their tool.

Josh