[TriLUG] laptop vendors

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Mar 27 15:10:07 EDT 2008

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Tom Roche wrote:

> I'm probably gonna get an Ubuntu Dell, despite
>
> * their "legendary" customer service :-)

Along the lines of shopping for a new laptop...

I've got a four year old HP thats holding up very nicely and my experiences
with HP in the past and more recent have been nothing but good.  That's
surprising giving the way companies these days seem to market their products
and services as amazing but rarely live up to it.  My HP experience has been
wonderful and I would look at them again.

My contacts at Lenovo have let me test drive the new Ideabook 15 and 17 inch
models.  Both are very impressive -- good feel, build quality and nice
features.

One thing that does frustrate me is the divide between consumer and business
laptops.  The consumer laptops have excellent prices and very friendly
features like built in remote controls for controlling media players, but
nobody offers a good consumer laptop with anything but the basic 1280x768 (or
whatever it is) screen resolution.  My 15" HP is 1680x1050 and I want to keep
that.. which means HP business or Thinkpad and not the consumer models..

--
Maxwell Spangler