[TriLUG] Off Topic: Need Cisco Router Config Help

jason tower jtower at cerient.net
Thu Apr 3 22:33:22 EDT 2008

well technically it's a dns issue, although the old linksys device
implemented some sort of hack to get around it.  you're trying to
connect to the external iface ip from inside, then have port forwarding
redirect that traffic back inside.  i think you'll find that very few
devices or setups will allow that to happen, the linksys was definitely
an exception.

we see this exact situation at many of our clients, the easiest way we
have found to deal with it is to run dnsmasq internally, then put the
appropriate entries in the hosts file which dnsmasq consults before
doing external lookups.  it's effectively a split-horizon dns setup but
a lot easier to deal with than bind.  generally we'll run dnsmasq on the
firewall doing both dns and dhcp but it works equally well on an inside
host just doing dns, for the latter you only need one line in the config:

   domain=example.com

then populate the hosts file on that box with entries:

   www	172.20.1.10
   smtp	172.20.1.12

and so on, dnsmasq reads it by default and consults it before doing
external queries.  point your internal hosts to the dnsmasq box for dns
(usually via dhcp) and you're golden.  give me access to on a box on
your lan and i'll have it running it about three minutes.