[TriLUG] Pony request: Backup Solution

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Apr 17 11:28:31 EDT 2008

I use backuppc.

> Works with rsyncd, i don't want to use ssh for the transport.

Yes.

> I'd like to push the backups offsite.

Not part of backuppc, but could be done externally fairly easily.

> Incremental backups with hard links to save space

Yes.

> Backups are kept as live files instead of .tar or .gz

Yes, but backuppc has this annoying habit of renaming all of the
files.  You can still shell in and dig into the directory structure
to retrieve a single file.  Compression is optional.  If you
compress, you have to use a perl script to extract the file.
I *think* you can store the file uncompressed, and then just
shell into the server and view the file in its original form.

Alan

.