[TriLUG] New Vista laptop needs Linux

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:42:41 EST 2008

Not sure if that was directed specifically at me, since I mentioned I've
been booted out.  That was slightly overstated - I was told by someone at
BestBuy
 that if I kept asking I would be escorted out of the building.  I don't
shop there any more.

In another case (circuit city) I asked if I could boot up from a liveusb
disk
to see if my linux distro would work.  "No, I can't let you do that."  "Why
not?"
"It's store policy."  "Why?  I just want to boot - I don't write to the
drive."
"We might get viruses."  "But I'd really like to give you $600 for this
laptop if I can prove it works with the live usb drive.  I just want to
check."
"No, this is store policy."

I was not agitated, but was in a hurry in both cases
(laptop had just broke and I was trying to get a new one in a hurry.

Both of these stores were on Capital near Triangle Town Center.  If anyone
else has had better luck at those stores, let me know.

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:15 AM, <OlsonE at aosa.army.mil> wrote:

> Ihmo, if you're going to use the "livecd", then you should be allowed.
> But to wipe Windows off the machine without putting it back in its
> original state ...I'd also tell you to leave my store. I've had no
> issues booting LiveCDs at any of the local area places I've been
> (BestBuy, BJ's, Circuit City ...etc).

Michael Kimsal
http://michaelkimsal.com
919.827.4724 - Skype