[TriLUG] New Year's Resolution: Backup my data (backuppc rocks)

Don Jerman djerman at pobox.com
Wed Dec 31 14:23:08 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Jeff Ellis <jeff-lists at ellises.us> wrote:

> Also, by my calculations, 100 GB would take close to 30 days to upload
> at Time Warner's craptactular upload speed of 300 kbps:

If you figure in acquisition, failures, operating cost and the fact
that Amazon or Jungle are on the hook for redundant storage and backup
of the backup, it starts to look attractive.

But you're right, sending that amount of data in the first place is
rediculous.  I figure it'll take longer than 30 days per 100G, and I
have about 400 to send (and my wife keeps adding more photos).  So if
I want to get serious about offsite I need to buy a USB box.  Problem
is the last three I bought fizzled - I'm a little "burned out" on
burning out high-cap drives in USB enclosures.  What do y'all use that
can operate 24/7 without going belly-up?