[TriLUG] sources of second hand laptops?

Andy Random andy.random at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 17:53:37 EST 2009

Hi,

I want to buy a laptop for a friend in NC and install Linux (most likely
Ubuntu) to give her an introduction to Linux.

As noted before I'm in England, but will be visiting NC in April. I could
buy a laptop here and take it with me, I know of several place in the UK
that sell second hand/refurbished laptops at reasonable prices, but that
would mean an English KB and paying UK sales tax (VAT) at 15%... so I was
wondering if it might be better to arrange the purchase of the machine in
the US, and just install Linux while I'm there.

However I don't have a clue where to start looking (google aside) or which
sites might be reputable dealers and which ones might be rip off
merchants.

Any recommendations for sellers of second user laptops? I'm looking for a
machine somewhere in the 1.4-2.0GHz range with 512MB or 1GB RAM, at least
a 30 GB HD and at least a CD (preferably DVD) drive.

All suggestions of sites to look at or even sites to avoid gratefully
received.

Thanks,

   Andy