[TriLUG] sources of second hand laptops?

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Sat Jan 31 18:09:52 EST 2009

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:53:37 -0500 (EST)
Andy Random <andy.random at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to buy a laptop for a friend in NC and install Linux (most
> likely Ubuntu) to give her an introduction to Linux.
>
> As noted before I'm in England, but will be visiting NC in April. I
> could buy a laptop here and take it with me, I know of several place
> in the UK that sell second hand/refurbished laptops at reasonable
> prices, but that would mean an English KB and paying UK sales tax
> (VAT) at 15%... so I was wondering if it might be better to arrange
> the purchase of the machine in the US, and just install Linux while
> I'm there.
>
> However I don't have a clue where to start looking (google aside) or
> which sites might be reputable dealers and which ones might be rip
> off merchants.
>
> Any recommendations for sellers of second user laptops? I'm looking
> for a machine somewhere in the 1.4-2.0GHz range with 512MB or 1GB
> RAM, at least a 30 GB HD and at least a CD (preferably DVD) drive.
>
> All suggestions of sites to look at or even sites to avoid gratefully
> received.
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Andy

One possibility might be Absolute Raleigh -- they tend to carry a good
supply of used Thinkpads and Dells.  The laptops listing on their
website are outdated, but you can contact them by email and find out
what they might have.

http://www.absoluteraleigh.com/used_laptops.html

I'm sure there are many good options out there.  I think Intrex might
sell used laptops from time to time too.

http://www.intrex.com/

Good luck and please do post back if you end up finding something local
here in NC.  I'm always on the lookout for good retailers.  ;-)

--
Chess Griffin