[TriLUG] permlinks or redirect management in Apache

Jim Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Wed Mar 18 12:15:09 EDT 2009

This is a common library problem.  I'm presently chairing a project team
to look at persistent identifier schemes and to document our needs.
Anyway, one of the ways that we've dealt with this is in the past for
lightweight uses is to use a php resolver script.  We give out a URL,
like http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/resolver/1840.2/105  The resolves to a
particular application in a particular location, along with thousands of
other IDs.  We can change that in one line in a look-up table.

In some cases we trim off the identifier, send it to a look-up table,
and return a URL.  In other cases, we pass the identifier on to an
application that does something with it.  It isn't terribly scalable,
but it limits our commitment to maintaining one script rather than an
entire website organization paradigm.  Anything beats hard-coded URLs.

Jim

--
Jim Tuttle