[TriLUG] usb floppy drive naming question - Centos

Mike Norwood norwoodm at embarqmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:45:14 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have a simple (I hope) question about the naming process for usb
devices.  When I plug a usb floppy drive into a Centos 5 machine, it
seems to find the floppy on every name from /dev/sdb to /dev/sdi, and I
can access it correctly at each of these names.

When I use a usb drive on the same machine, it is only recognized as
/dev/sdb (assuming I have not already plugged in the floppy and grabbed
multiple device names).  Is there any way to make the usb floppy select
one device name?  I don't really care which one if I can somehow make it pick
the same one each time.

I also am not trying to automatically mount the floppy drive, as we are as
likely to use tar with it, as to be using mtools to read a dos floppy.

Thanks in advance,  Mike Norwood