[TriLUG] Web-based note taking application - similar to KeepNote

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:56:43 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Ronald Kelley <rkelleyrtp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a web-based note taking application to install on my CentOS
> server - something similar to KeepNote but web-based.  Normally, I would use
> a Wiki, but I find they don't lend themselves to hierarchical data
> presentation and the data is not easily portable between machines (in case
> my server dies/crashes).  KeepNote allows me to export my notebook as html,
> but I really need to use a DB server so I can access the data from any
> location.

This won't solve your hierarchical problem, but it does make your data
as portable as anything I've ever seen. It's Wiki software called
Hatta[0]. It's data is all stored as plain text files in a
Mercurial[1] repository, allowing you to edit via the web or any text
editor while keeping full history. Moving or creating new wikis from
your existing data becomes a simple 'hg clone'. I've been using it for
note taking at $work and I've really liked it. It's simple enough to
not get in the way. You can easily run it from Apache using either CGI
or mod_wsgi, or everyone can run their own copy with the builtin
standalone webserver and use Mercurial to keep them all in sync.

Paul

[0] http://hatta-wiki.org/
[1] http://mercurial.selenic.com/