[TriLUG] Ubuntu 11.04 Release Party, April 28, Chapel Hill

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Sun Apr 17 21:36:34 EDT 2011

This is the best (and sometimes worst) part of working in Open Source:
you have a choice.

Personally, I'm used to the windows/desktop paradigm, so I will likely
be switching to Xubuntu. My Dad has also expressed his dislike of the
new Unity interface (he often tries the betas on his netbook from a Live
USB stick) and has expressed interest in switching to either Kubuntu or
Xubuntu.

In addition to the change in workflow, I'm a little concerned with the
increasing dependence on 3D accelerated hardware, especially given the
still lacking state of Free drivers in that realm.

I can understand what Ubuntu is trying to do with Unity, though I'm not
sure why they didn't coordinate directly with the GNOME folk to get the
changes into 3.0.  C'est la vie.

To your point of switching: you can install multiple desktop
environments alongside each other in Ubuntu by installing the
appropriate metapackage.  For KDE, kubuntu-desktop. For XFCE,
xubuntu-desktop.  Once you find one you're happy with, you can remove
the ubuntu-desktop metapackage and clean up any packages you don't need.
No reinstall required.