[TriLUG] IPv6 workshop

Jonathan Woodbury jpwoodbu at mybox.org
Wed Apr 20 15:33:57 EDT 2011

> First, I don't particularly want to install iTunes on my Windows hosts,
> although that wouldn't be a show stopper.

Understandable.  I believe you can install Bonjour separately.

> Finally, the most important issue is that I'd like to be able to lookup the
> names from outside the local network.

> Somewhat similar to how dnsmasq will do for IPv4 with DHCP.

Those two statements strike me as conflicting.

There seems to be a popular misconception about address
auto-configuration for IPv6.  The addresses, unless configured not to
be, are static.  No reservation and no state machine is required.  The
addresses are built with the advertised network prefix and the MAC
address of the host.

Devices on my home network do have AAAA records in public DNS.  And I
do not need to update them dynamically.  For those times that a new
device is on my network temporarily, I use mDNS.