[TriLUG] Couple of Nagios questions

David M. turnpike420 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 15:45:18 EDT 2011

I can't help with the first part, but maybe I can with the disk portion of
your question.  I don't mean to ask the dumb obvious question, but just
wanted to make sure you have snmp installed and your community configured
correctly on the remote machines and have it allowed in the firewall.  (I
admit I've not heard of using SSH for checking and I'm still on Nagios 2.11
instead of 3.x)

1.  Can you snmpwalk the remote machines from your Nagios host?

Let's say you had a NetApp and the MIB for it and you wanted raidStatus
(quickest sample I had using a MIB and asking for a specific item, leave the
command less populated and snmpwalk will spew back every possible result as
opposed to 1 specific item like my example does):

snmpwalk -m all -On -v1 -c public 10.10.10.2
NETWORK-APPLIANCE-MIB::raidStatus

For full on spew of data I believe you simply need:

snmpwalk -m all -On -v1 -c public 10.10.10.2

2.  If yes, from your Nagios host, can you run the Nagios check from the cli
and see your result or error output?

In 2.x to be able to get disk info from win and lin servers, we had to
customize the check.  I believe the guy who wrote the check stuck the GPL on
it, if so I can share the perl with you if you are interested.  Then again I
haven't seen the check_disk in 3.x so I don't know how helpful I'm being.

thanks,
David McDowell