[TriLUG] Avoiding the TWC modem rental fee

Kurktchiev, Boris boris at unc.edu
Thu Aug 8 10:55:09 EDT 2013

I have been running the SB6141 since I moved to NC from TX about 7ish months ago. I have not paid the rental fee at all. The modem is fantastic and actually gives me the 50/5 I am supposed to get consistently. Plus its a DOCSIS 3.0 modem so whenever TWC/Charter/Cox decides to upgrade their infrastructure into the 21st century the modem is ready to go and deliver 300/100 :)

Combining it with a Toastman's Tomato flash on my wrt 610n I can get a consistent 8mb/s download. The upload is crap, but thats due to TWC's shenanigans, I have yet to be able to achieve more than 1mb/s spurts once in a while.

-B