[TriLUG] OT: Logitech Harmony Remotes

Keith Woodie kwoodie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 21:38:23 EDT 2013

After both my wife and I have used the Logitech Harmony Smart One remote
for about a week, I can safely say that I don't know how I lived without
one.  Setup wasn't that bad.  I would recommend connecting to a Windows
computer ( I used a VirtualBox VM running on Ubuntu) and updating the
firmware via the My Harmony website before trying to configure any devices.
 I didn't do this to begin with and attempted to configure the remote with
my Android phone and had several problems that caused the application to
crash.  Once I updated the firmware the Android application worked like a
charm. Devices are configured via the Android application by simply
entering your model numbers for your different devices.  I didn't have any
trouble with any of my devices.  I have a very basic setup currently, so I
haven't tried to push the configuration by any means.  In any event I have
achieved my goal of providing RF based remote control with IR blaster
functionality to all of my devices.

If your curious my devices are as follows.

Panasonic Plasma HDTV
TIme Warner Cable (Samsung DVR Box)
Sony Blu-Ray

Thanks and hope this helps someone!