[TriLUG] Powerline Ethernet

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Oct 26 22:04:07 EDT 2013

TriLUG,

I am looking to speed up my LAN at home after realizing that a file server over 2.4 GHz 802.11n is still fairly slow. One solution I am exploring is powerline networking (running CAT6 is not currently an option).

Looking at the likes of TP-Link's TL-PA511 AV500, which promises peak bandwidth of 500 Mbps. Does anyone have experience with this tech and/or this specific adapter? Is it worth the money, or is it better to get a dual band router and a faster Wi-Fi card for the file server?

Thanks,
Igor