[TriLUG] FCC may step in to pre-empt TWC like legislation

Gary Carr garycarr at carolina.net
Thu Jun 12 11:44:41 EDT 2014

I agree that there needs to be more competition. IMHO the government
needs to shift the Universal Service Fund from telco to broadband but
not give it to the large conglomerates. It needs to be given to private
independent companies that will complete against the larger companies.

When I was in the ISP business we faced this very issue in the Scotland
county market. The city of Laurinburg used grant money to lay fiber
around the county and directly complete against us or I should say under
cut us and made it impossible to exist in that market.