[TriLUG] The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 20:28:50 EDT 2014

On 07/12/2014 04:41 PM, Jack Hill wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2014, Steve Litt wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Debian Wheezy has no youtube-dl nor minitube.
>
> cclive?
>
> Also youtube-dl is a self contained utility written in Python, you can
> probably run it from a git clone in your home directory or similar.

The source is an itty-bitty little bit of code and it takes forever for
the bug fixes to appear in the repos, so it's one of the few things I
use the source for. And, youtube-dl stays on top of the efforts of
youtube to block such things. Just type youtube-dl -U and it updates
itself. Nice! It ought to run on just about anything with python
installed. Ric