[TriLUG] troubleshooting spotty internet connectivity with TWCBC

Dewey Hylton plug at hyltown.com
Wed Jul 23 12:22:10 EDT 2014

hard evidence only works where it works, and in my case TWCBC refused to look at the evidence. i already have the above type of script running continually.

so ... i drove the hr to get onsite, got TWCBC on the phone, connected a bsd laptop directly to the modem, and saw the same exact results. no shock there.

i then removed power from their modem, counted to 5, and reapplied power. once i was able to ping the gateway again the tests magically worked. so i cycled modem power once more and placed the firewall behind it. once the modem came back, everything magically worked.

i suggested that the customer be added to the queue for receiving a new modem, and TWCBC support agreed. but until that happens, i have to assume the same will happen again at some random point in the future.

at no point would TWCBC agree to seeing any of my logs, and that was the _first_ thing i offered on each of my 3 calls to them.