[TriLUG] In a LUG a long time ago

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Mon Nov 3 13:54:29 EST 2014

John,

Thanks for the SC perspective. I am not suggesting that everything must be
implemented, or that it's all practical, just asking for feedback.

My main questions are "would anyone be interested in this?" and "how much
would it cost?" If it's a matter of spending $2000 up front, and $50/month
on bandwidth and rack space, I am sure we as a community could come
together and raise this money. If it's $100k up front, and $1000/month,
probably not so much.

I am basing this on the sysadmin hackathons TriLUG hosted in the past:
there is clearly interest in playing with larger hardware and larger
systems. I'd be willing to finance a part of it, so that I could reap the
benefits of others' knowledge and attention.

As for paying a company to do all this for me, once again, I'd rather pay a
non-profit, if it's to everyone's benefit. This is both for ethical reasons
and for practical ones: I feel like TriLUG is less likely to sell the
contents of my emails to an advertising agency than Zoho.

Igor