[TriLUG] Slightly Off Topic - personal NAS or Cloud Service?

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Jan 31 20:58:12 EST 2015

Before buying any drives consult https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/.

With ZFS, the only bad things I have heard is something about catastrophic volume failures where the entire FS becomes inaccessible. This sounds terrible but at the same time the people posting these kinds of stories did not seem to have my use case. In either case, backups!

Ideally, I am going to set up two NAS boxes running different drives but both running ZFS in two different locations. One will run Ubuntu, the other will run FreeBSD.

Honestly, for most people this is so complicated that a hosted solution is probably better. I am cheap and have a TB of data to back up. Otherwise I'd use S3 or tarsnap.

Igor