[TriLUG] Slightly Off Topic - personal NAS or Cloud Service?

Wes Garrison wes at xitechusa.com
Sat Jan 31 21:40:21 EST 2015

The link that Igor posted is where I made my recommendations from.

Notice that Hitachi is now called HGST.

Remember how I mentioned "3 simultaneous drive failures" in my previous
message?

All 3 were 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001.  43.1% failure rate according to
BackBlaze.  I've replaced 5 of my original 8.  Take their advice and buy
4TB HGST.

My ZFS array was a "Z2" array, which means it can tolerate 2 simultaneous
failures.

I have over 13TiB of data (my movie collection) on an 18TiB array.

I used lowcostrecovery.com to image one of the hard drives.  I can't
recommend "them" enough.  It's a guy in California that bought a clean
room, and he did a bit-level drive recovery for $600.  No one else will
even come close to that, and he did a LOT of work.

ZFS was able to use parity info to recover everything but about 20 files,
all of which I have backups for.

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
pager:   (919) 869-1744
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."