[TriLUG] Move over Google: Wilson, NC did it a long, long time ago

Don Jerman via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Feb 26 15:31:08 EST 2015

The state law is Chapter 160A-340.1.  It's about making sure cities (in
particular) cannot provide network services to non-city recipients using
any labor, equipment or other capital or funds not used solely for
providing communication services.  Which among other things prevents them
from running along city right-of-way unless the value of that right-of-way
is carved out and paid for, and prevents them from starting up the service
using general funds.

Also the city must pay all taxes and other revenues to the city, county and
state that would be paid by a commercial carrier and must "impute (i) the
cost of the capital component that is equivalent to the cost of capital
available to private communications service providers in the same locality
and (ii) an amount equal to all taxes, including property taxes, licenses,
fees, and other assessments that would apply to a private communications
service provider, including federal, State, and local taxes; rights-of-way,
franchise, consent, or administrative fees; and pole attachment fees"

Oh and just to make it easy for Wilson, the law assures that the city may
discontinue service without any approval from the citizens.

The upshot is, if your town can do networking for less than Verizon or Time
Warner, you're not allowed to compete, even if you can do it better.