[TriLUG] Move over Google: Wilson, NC did it a long, long time ago

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 27 10:49:08 EST 2015

Love Net Nuetrality or hate it, one thing is for sure. Some businesses are already stopping investment. (See quote below) I think everyone should prepare for a few years of court battles to determine legality of the FCC actions. In the mean time expect low investment until it is sorted out. History generally shows businesses do not invest in uncertain times. However, a pebble in the shoe is Google, who is not looking for return on the network, but the revenue of targeted ads from collecting information, which requires more people on the web more of the time. I suspect Google to continue to invest in their fiber build out. That could coax others to jump in and continue to invest. Time will tell.
AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson has halted production of his company’s new fiber network. Following President Barack Obama’s push to reclassify internet access as a public utility, Stephenson says the company will not move forward into an uncertain future.
Read more at http://www.business2community.com/tech-gadgets/att-threatens-to-stop-building-fiber-network-because-of-net-neutrality-fcc-fires-back-01069119#7rk3ASwvberb24hJ.99