[TriLUG] Move over Google: Wilson, NC did it a long, long time ago

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 27 11:49:47 EST 2015

On 02/27/2015 10:49 AM, John Vaughters via TriLUG wrote:
> Love Net Nuetrality or hate it, one thing is for sure. Some businesses are already stopping investment. (See quote below) I think everyone should prepare for a few years of court battles to determine legality of the FCC actions. In the mean time expect low investment until it is sorted out. History generally shows businesses do not invest in uncertain times. However, a pebble in the shoe is Google, who is not looking for return on the network, but the revenue of targeted ads from collecting information, which requires more people on the web more of the time. I suspect Google to continue to invest in their fiber build out. That could coax others to jump in and continue to invest. Time will tell.
> AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson has halted production of his company’s new fiber network. Following President Barack Obama’s push to reclassify internet access as a public utility, Stephenson says the company will not move forward into an uncertain future.
> Read more at http://www.business2community.com/tech-gadgets/att-threatens-to-stop-building-fiber-network-because-of-net-neutrality-fcc-fires-back-01069119#7rk3ASwvberb24hJ.99

Ironic, isn't it, that US taxpayers have already paid an unimaginably
ginormous sum of money - so incredibly huge that it would take Wall
Street's most aggressive hedge fund managers OVER A WEEK to turn it into
dust
(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/the-book-of-broken-promis_b_5839394.html)
for a national broadband fiber network that we'll never see, and no one
has ever bothered to find out what happened to the $100,000,000,000s of
dollars.
The greed shown by US internet providers is unprecedented.

That there is any question being raised over whether they brought this
on themselves shows how much power they have.  It would take days to
write an overview of their misbehavior.

... in my humble opinion :-p

   Scott C.

--