[TriLUG] A sad comment on our culture

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 12 11:53:14 EDT 2015

I read this a little differently.  I agree that an environment that is
harsh, brutal, and unforgiving, lowers the chance of bad code getting into
the community.  Undoubtedly, this is an area where if one is going to play
their skills should be on par.

However, (this is where I read the article differently) the impression I
got was that there is a difference between being harsh, brutal, and
unforgiving in a technical aspect and an environment that supports and
encourages attacking the person.  Furthermore, the blog gives the
impression that certain "cults of personality" have developed followers
that entourage this environment, which also seems to be the norm on most,
non or lightly moderated, social websites.