[TriLUG] Off-Topic are WIFI routers just getting worse

Kevin Howell via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Mar 28 11:43:03 EDT 2017

There is one interesting behavior to be aware of with non-stock
firmware. A lot of routers have either proprietary kernel modules or
software hacks used to increase throughput (at the cost of other
things). Example:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2013-August/021112.html

So in some cases you'll get *worse* performance for certain use cases
when switching to other firmware.

If you're shopping for a new router, it's worth doing some research to
know what you're getting into, especially if you're considering
non-stock firmware... Most of the custom firmwares have decent pages on
hardware, letting you know what quirks the hardware has, how the support
is etc. (Ex. openwrt table of hardware:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start). https://wikidevi.com is also useful
if you want to start at a lower level (find a well-supported chipset,
and then find hardware built with that chipset).

Hope this helps,
Kevin Howell