[TriLUG] Off-Topic are WIFI routers just getting worse

Greg Brown via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Mar 29 09:13:24 EDT 2017

For years I've been using Apple access points and firewalls.  They are the
same device just with different software settings.  I used to use M0n0wall
on Soekris for my edge firewall but M0n0wall has been discontinued and with
the bump in TWC speeds the speed exceeded the throughput of my Soekris
hardware so I went with an Apple Airport Express on the edge and a Time
Capsule set up as an access point rather than another router.

All that said Apple has discontinued their router/access point efforts so
I'm looking for another solution and I'm going to order some Google OnHub
devices in the coming months to test:

https://on.google.com/hub/

Greg