[TriLUG] Off-Topic are WIFI routers just getting worse

Reginald Reed via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Apr 2 00:29:15 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Keith Woodie via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org
> wrote:

> I would also recommend non-default firmware also.  I have an Asus that I
> am running merlin on.  It actually fixed some issues I had.
>
> I haven’t used any mesh routers yet, but if anyone has had experience with
> the Google or Eero routers I would like to hear their thoughts.

I have a 3 node eero setup at home in Access Point mode behind a pfSense
box (with Supermicro X11SBA-LN4F motherboard) connected to a Google Fiber
Fiber Jack and it works pretty well.  Because my house is wired with Cat5e,
I'm not using the wireless backhaul.  My 802.11ac devices (Dell XPS13 9350,
iPhone 7, etc) all get about 500/400 on speedtests if I'm close to one of
the eero nodes and a minimum of 250-350 down/150-200 up everywhere else.
My house is ~3000 sq ft.