[TriLUG] Best IDE and version control for C and C++?

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 5 11:10:59 EDT 2017

I too use VI (Vim) for most of my editing and it supports, at least
most of, the features you mention wanting below.  I began my
programming career back in the day before the IDE existed so I am right
at home with the simplified interface.

I have never been a fan of Eclipse.  My biggest issue with it is
switching between the modes for writing software and then debugging /
running it.  I have tried on several occasions and just never "liked"
it.

More recently, I've been getting into Python program and trying to
learn how to use Django, which is an exercise in and of it self.  While
doing so, I started using Atom which others have recommended.  I would
like to put in my +1 for it.  One of the biggest strengths I am finding
with Atom as an IDE is the coordination and integration of multiple
files and having functions defined in other locations and it seems to
"just work" in terms of developing across a multi-file project.