[TriLUG] Intel bug in the news today

Thomas Delrue via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jan 3 15:41:50 EST 2018

On 01/03/2018 01:54 PM, David Burton via TriLUG wrote:
> I think "net neutrality" is a great big nothingburger. Net neutrality
> regulations are a solution in search of a problem. The only example of a
> real, relevant problem addressed by net neutrality regs was many years ago
> when some ISPs tried to coerce their customers into using their own VoIP
> products instead of Vonage etc.

I seriously disagree with the statement that Net Neutrality is either a
"big nothingburger" or that it is a "solution looking for a problem".
In fact, I think you disagree with it as well since the end of your this
blurb contradicts the start of it.

Net Neutrality regulations were put in place because a) the abuse had
shown itself in the past and b) the abuse is likely to occur again in
the future barring these regulations as evidenced by the words and
actions of those who stand to benefit from the repeal of Net Neutrality
rules. Lastly, as c) they are a rare case where people were thinking
further than just "tonight's news" and were put in place to prevent
'future badness'.

My search-fu is lacking right now and I can't find the transcript of
this, but I distinctly remember listening to a radio-piece a couple of
months ago on the next generation of mobile (read: phone) networks and
how the proposed next standard deeply incorporates, describes and
enables the ability to have fast and slow lanes for data, specifically
geared towards throttling down those streams that go to places you as a
network owner deem 'undesirable' (e.g. the Vonage in your example).
These provisions are right there in the spec and in the infrastructure.
I'll refer back to my point a & b.