[TriLUG] Intel bug in the news today

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jan 3 15:50:02 EST 2018

There are some real-word yardsticks that are available to measure how
deep the "nothing" in the Net Neutrality burger goes.

1. A study claims that well over half a billion dollars was spent by
Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T to lobby against the FCC regulations since
2008 (citation:
http://bgr.com/2017/07/12/net-neutrality-explained-internet-day-of-action-july-12/).

2. Of the over twenty million comments that were submitted to the FCC in
response to its decision to gut the Net Neutrality rules, over 57% were
found to be from duplicate or temporary email addresses (Pew Research:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/04/technology/net-neutrality-fake-comments-eric-schneiderman/index.html
).  Of those comments that were found to occur only once in the FCC's
database, the vast majority were in favor of the current Net Neutrality
rules.

I dunno, David.  These monopolies are so avaricious they have driven
away most of the customer base for cable television, and that's saying
something.   Now they're getting ready to reach for our wallets for
substantially higher ISP fees, according to several news outlets.

I have to wonder what they're going to do when they run out of sources
for easy profits, if it isn't to hold broad swaths of the internet tubes
for ransom?

  Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote