[TriLUG] OT: remote controlled antenna rotator

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jan 16 08:17:45 EST 2018

Hello Ron,

An imperfect, but Very Cheap solution...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NQMCDK
For all of $33, you can buy a digital TV antenna that has a built-in
rotator, signal amplifier, and remote control.

I installed one of these for a relative in the burbs of Washington DC,
but in a weak signal area (low elevation).  It was a great improvement.
It brought in HDTV signals that were impossible to get with any indoor
antenna.  With careful pointing it would even receive channels from
Baltimore.  I installed it on the upper level of a deck using PVC pipe
as the mast.

As you might expect, it has a significant shortcoming.  The antenna will
enthusiastically spin forever if you press down on one of the rotate
buttons, up to the point where all of the slack on the signal/power
cable is used up.  There's no indication indoors where the antenna is
pointed.  You just press the CW/CCW buttons until the reception
improves.  I guess adding a stop/reverse requirement would have pushed
it out of its price point.

I've considered installing one of these in our attic as well, but I'm
certain that the cable and rotation issue would lead to problems.
There's probably a way to add a limit switch that would prevent it from
travelling past 360 degrees in either direction.  Not as much fun as a
Raspberry Pi project though!

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote