[TriLUG] Best CentOS Filesystem for Improper Shutdown

Eric Blau via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Feb 3 10:15:25 EST 2018

ext4 works very well for such appliances if you run with the
"data=journal" mount option. All data as well as metadata updates are
then journaled so you don't end up with files with garbage at the end
if files are being appended to when the appliance loses power. We use
this quite successfully on a FIRST Robotics Competition robot that is
subject to abrupt power loss at the end of matches. Plus. ext4 is
widely supported everywhere.

I'm also a big fan of ZFS and run it as the root filesystem on my
desktop and laptop computers, but it's probably overkill for an
appliance and more of a pain to set up (well, maybe not now that
Ubuntu suports it).

Regards,
Eric